About Me

My photo
Well read media freaky type who likes a laugh AND an argument

Sunday 3 March 2013

My Old School - Part I

My old school was hellish..
I hated every day  I spent there.
Bullying was rife, in fact that is what it was best known for in the local area. I am sure Bullying was actually on the timetable.There was actually a pecking-order for bullies of which I was very near the bottom of. I was in second-bottom  category of being 'a soft touch'. Below me were only the sissies and the educationally-challenged who provided no sport whatsoever for the seasoned bully.
The teachers also bullied everyone they could.This was back in the days in Scotland where you could still be belted in the form of corporal punishment..You would have to extend your arms in front of you,crossing your hands with the palms facing upwards before receiving lashes from a leather belt.
Some teachers had rather flimsy belts and were hopeless at dispensing the lashes.Others had really hard belts which could be held erect without any flapping.Quality  leather ones from Lochgelly in Fife.
The way the teachers gave 'the belt' was rather strange as well.The belt was held behind the shoulder before being swung forth with great menace.The natural instinct for the 'beltee' was to draw your hands away before the lash made contact with your palms resulting in a kind of 'strike-out' scenario like Baseball before the belting-teacher eventually connected with your palm.
The ultimate in punishment was to be belted six times in front of school assembly.Oh the humiliation suffered as the whole school giggled as you were doubled-over in pain fighting off the tears.
Such punishment was reserved for acts of vandalism and thieving of the tuck shop..Yes,I was occasionally bad at school Anyway, it's time for a song......./TO BE CONTINUED


No comments:

Post a Comment